by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
GP Week : Issue 12
BERNIE Ecclestone has told GPWeek that he would like to see the Senna name back in Formula 1. Bruno Senna’s GP2 victory in Monaco, 15 years to the day after his Uncle Ayrton’s sixth and final victory on the streets of the Principality, was one of the talking points of the weekend, and had even Ecclestone contemplating the F1 future of the young Brazilian. “It’s good,” Ecclestone told GPWeek. “It would be good to have him in Formula 1 as well.” When asked on the timeline for such a move, Ecclestone would not be drawn. “I don’t know, let’s see. People will only take him if he performs.” The need for Senna to consistently prove himself in GP2 is a line also taken by Gerhard Berger. The Toro Rosso co-owner has been a guiding hand in Senna’s short but prolific career, and told GPWeek that he had been immensely proud to see Bruno take such a hard fought win on the streets that had created the legend of the Senna name. “To be honest I was really proud because I know how he started, I know his history, and I think it was a big statement. As I told him on Saturday, ‘OK now you have to win the championship and I think you can do the next step.’ He still has a little bit to do, but so far so good. I think he just needs to win the championship. It’s not going to be easy, but after this weekend I’m quite convinced that he can play a role in the championship.” With Sebastian Vettel expected to step up to the main Red Bull F1 team in 2009, many see Toro Rosso as a natural berth for Bruno Senna to make his F1 debut, but Berger refused to speculate. “I wouldn’t like to go into this conversation. There’s other things that are a priority and we have drivers at the moment. It’s totally not at this time the right moment to look to it.” Bernie, Berger back Bruno F1 NEWS >> FRANZ Josef Weigl, the man behind the last minute bid to save the Super Aguri F1 Team, has told GPWeek he is still disappointed that his financial package was rejected by the Honda board. “If there’s any possibility to help the people in the team I will support it,” Weigl, who was present in Monaco with Super Aguri Managing Director Daniel Audetto, told GPWeek. “So far it’s a very bad situation and it’s very hard to see what will go on for the team in the future because the team has lost its entry.” Weigl pointed once again to his belief that Honda, and in particular Honda Racing F1 CEO Nick Fry, had not wanted the threat of a competitive Super Aguri, and had therefore rejected his bid for the team. “I think everybody knows the fight with Nick Fry. Maybe he could see that they [Super Aguri] would be competitive with the other teams, and maybe that’s the reason why somebody, maybe Nick Fry, was afraid that Super Aguri maybe could be better than Honda with their budget like last year. It’s a shame.” Weigl still upset over Aguri treatment 10