by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
GP Week : Issue 102
v EVERYONE knew it would happen, but the delay was stretching out alarmingly . . . u ntil Jorge Lorenzo finally inked his signature on a contract renewal with the factory Yamaha team that will see him stay on for the next two years. The announcement came during the weekend, confirming the line -up with Ben Spies as his new team-mate ... though there was no confirmation of team sponsorship or colours. “My first choice was always to stay here with Yamaha, and I am very glad this will happen,” said Lorenzo, praising “the good people round me, a strong relationship with Yamaha, and a great bike.” Team manager Lin Jarvis said he was pleased to finally get agreement in place: “It will now enable Jorge to focus all of his efforts to try to secure his first MotoGP rider’s title. Being only 23, I believe Jorge has a long career ahead and hopefully he can win many world titles with Yamaha.” Glossing over the loss of Rossi, he spoke of the pairing of Lorenzo and Spies: “ With these two exceptionally talented hungry young riders we will start 2011 with the most exciting and competitive team in the paddock.” Power-up Yamaha last chance for Lorenzo YAMAHA riders’ prayers were at least partially answered at Motegi, with a slightly more power ful engine spec seeming to solve their top speed problems and put them back on a more equal footing with Ducati and Honda. But the new engine is Jorge Lorenzo’s last chance ... the last of his season’s allocation of six. And though he did take the new engine out in qualifying, he elected not to use it in the race, perhaps in response to the absence of title rival Pedrosa. There are still four races to go, and he preferred to keep it in reserve. The most he has used any engine for a race so far is four. One of his engines, the one that suffered a fiery blow-up in Germany, lasted only two races. Lorenzo still has four other engines remaining, but some are very well-used. Rossi, on the other hand, has only just broken out his fifth engine, the power- up version, and has one more to go, after missing four races. Honda’s earlier lead in the engine-use charts has been lost, with three satellite riders – Melandri, Aoyama and Simoncelli – all on their sixth engine. But factory rider Dovizioso still has one left unused. Bautista broke out his seventh engine at Motegi, but Suzuki is allowed to use nine per rider by special dispensation. Lorenzo signs for two more years Images used in GPWEEK are shot by the photo-artists at Sutton Images. Posters available of any shot – CLICK HERE for more information Interested in Aussie V8 Supercars? CLICK HERE to access Australasian Motorsport eNews ... Images used in GPWEEK are shot by the photo-artists at Sutton Images. Posters available of any shot – CLICK HERE for more information Interested in Aussie V8 Supercars? CLICK HERE to access Australasian Motorsport eNews ... The world of MoTorsporT direcTly To your deskTop Issue No. 146 March 16-22 2010 WHINCUP INA FORMULA 1 CAR AT ALBERT PARK REIGNINGCHAMPS SETFORF1/V8 CARSWAP NEXTWEEK – FULL DETAILS INSIDE! POWER PLAY! Aussiesfightitout in IndyCar opener – and Will wins! EXCLUSIVE! to access a huge global audience ADVeRTISe in gPWeeK Honda plans still in the air 18