by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
GP Week : Issue 146
While Bahrain has disappeared from the front pages, there continue to be regular reports of demonstrations featuring violence from protesters and security forces alike. But despite the ongoing drama in Bahrain, this year’s grand prix looks almost certain to go ahead as scheduled. In four weeks’ time, the Formula One circus will be arriving in Manama. When asked to comment about the wisdom of pressing ahead with the race, Michael Schumacher admitted he was unconcerned. “I’m honestly pretty relaxed to go there,” the German driver told the assembled media in Sepang. “From our perspective, one is obviously that we’re going to be very well looked after, because they might foresee whatever and will be prepared. I’ve quite a few good friends over there and I’m pretty sure that for them it’s a very important event and they just want to make everybody happy. “If you look around the world, you probably find other places where there might be the possibility that we could have the same reasons to think about and we don’t. So at the end of the day, I’m pretty sure that they’re going to do their utmost and we’re going to be OK.” Sebastian Vettel and Jenson Button – both of whom were asked for their opinions on the wisdom of racing in Bahrain – toed the traditional FIA line with their responses. “I think for us, as you know, this is a very difficult subject and personally, from my point of view, weneedtolooktotheFIA–forall of us – for common sense,” Button said in Sepang on Thursday. “We will go with what they have to say.” During Vettel’s Thursday press call in Sepang, the defending world champion was asked to give his opinion on racing in Bahrain. Like Button, Vettel referred the decision to the FIA. “I think, in the end, there’s a lot of people obviously who – in the end have to make the decision whether it’s safe or not. I think if they decide that it is safe then we shouldn’t worry. I’m happy to go to Bahrain. “Of course it was a shame the race didn’t happen last year, but I think ultimately that it was the right call. We’ll see what happens, but I’m quite confident it will be all right.” At the height of the uprising last year, Mark Webber was the only driver to openly oppose the idea of racing in Bahrain. “When you hear of people losing their lives, this is a tragedy,” the Australian driver said at the time. “It’s probably not the best time to go there for a sporting event. They have bigger things, bigger priorities.” Webber was also the only man to speak against the prospect of a rescheduled race when it was discussed in June. “I hope F1 is able to return to Bahrain eventually but now isn't the right time. As a competitor I do not feel at all comfortable going there to compete in an event when, despite reassurances to the contrary, it seems inevitable that it will cause more tension for the people of that country.” DRIVERS “RELAXED” ABOUT BAHRAIN AMID SECURITY CONCERNS EARLY BIRD TICKETS NOW ON SALE SINGAPORE MARINA BAY STREET CIRCUIT +65 6738 6738 PHONE BOOKING: www.singaporegp.sg ONLINE BOOKING: 212223 SEPTEMBER 2012 Scan this code for event details EARLY BIRD BUYERS STAND TO WIN EXCLUSIVE DRIVERS' AUTOGRAPH SESSION PASSES, ACCESS TO ARTIST MEET & GREET SESSIONS AND FAN ZONE WRISTBANDS ENJOY UP TO 30% SAVINGS! LIMITED COMBINATION PACKAGES AND GREAT SAVINGS WITH GROUP BOOKINGS OF 4 OR MORE TICKETS NOW AVAILABLE 3 DAYS OF NON-STOP RACE ACTION ALSO FEATURING AND MANY MORE GPWeek.pdf 1 3/16/12 3:40 PM 7 GPWEEK.com // PARTNERS: F1 >>> NEWS