by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
GP Week : Issue 183
MOTOGP >>> NEWS MOTOGP >>> NEWS Although personally reconciled with a private and later public hand-shake, Jorge Lorenzo kept the row about his last-corner clash with violent assailant Marc Marquez top of the agenda at Le Mans, with a stormy berating of Race Direction for not bringing their new penalty- points system into action. Lorenzo seized his chance at the Thursday rider briefing, firmly stating his point of view, then reportedly storming out – though he later said: “I thought the briefing was over” . Later he expanded at the press conference. Insisting he had nothing personal against Marquez, but merely wanted “to make the sport safer. “He is young, and when you are young you try when you see a small gap. But we have penalty points and we are not using them. In Jerez in my opinion this was one point they should be using it.” The criterion he suggested was that when a collision was hard enough “to make a rider go on another line”; but admitted that hard-and-fast rules were difficult, and each case different. “But when you make a hit, you must be penalised some points.” In a replay of a similar confrontation with Marco Simoncelli two years ago, Lorenzo claimed the moral high ground, recalling how he had changed from tactics that had made him notorious after he was suspended for one race in 2005. “I think when you get penalised you change your mind and become a more logical rider,” he said. As happened with the ill-fated Simoncelli, Marquez and his cohorts won the popular vote; while Crutchlow summed it up best. “Nobody crashed, nobody was hurt. I think it needs to be forgotten about and carry on racing. Dorna CEO has publicly lamented the increasing Hispanification of MotoGP, and promised that future calendars will range further afield than the current four races in Spain. But while Dorna’s efforts had been directed towards riders from other countries, there seemed nothing he could do to stop the takeover by riders. “You can’t kill anyone,” he told a Reuters reporter in one inter view; only half-jokingly continuing that he might need to consider a national quota system in future. In MotoGP, Spanish riders control the top three title positions, with two rostrum lockouts in four races and a full house of wins. The situation is only slightly different in Moto2, while in Moto3 almost exactly the same. Plans for expanding the calendar include the Argentine race next year, with Ezpeleta hoping also for a return to Brazil, and a greater presence in Asia, with Indonesia a prime target. Casualties will be not only one or two of Spain’s current four races at Jerez, Catalunya, Aragon and Valencia, but also one of the three rounds in the USA, at Laguna Seca, Indianapolis and Cota in Texas, with Indy in the most jeopardy. LORENZO/MARQUEZ: JORGE KEEPS THE ROW GOING MOTOGP IS “TOO SPANISH” – DORNA BOSS EZPELETA 17 GPWEEK.com // 17 GPWEEK.com // PARTNERS: